Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Alexis is in the hospital :(

We had our first doctor's appointment this morning, and obviously it didn't go very well. The dr. said she looked a little jaundiced, nothing too bad, but she still wanted to have blood work done. So we went over to the hospital to get the blood drawn and they told us they'd call us with the results.

We then went over to the mall to see my AE coworkers and to stop by Toys R Us to get some baby stuff we needed. We first stopped in the nursing center so I could feed Alexis, and by the time we were done there Andrew had received a voicemail from the dr's office saying to call them right back and have the answering service page them (it was their lunch hour). So of course this worried us and we called right back.

The dr. said her jaundice level was really high and she needed to be admitted to stay in the hospital overnight under a bili-lite. So now we're in the hospital, fortunately they set up the incubator in a room, so Andrew and I are able to stay with her.

I'm praying we're able to come home tomorrow, but from the answers the nurses keep giving us, it's not looking good. Hopefully we won't have to stay too long. It's terrible to not be able to hold her all day like I'm used to, but of course I just want her to get better.

Fortunately we can still hold her for a little while when she gets fed. Right now we're having to give her formula that's suppose to help her get better faster, but I'm pumping to keep my supply up, so I can keep breastfeeding when we get home.

Anyway, that's the update... keep little Alexis in your prayers.

4 comments:

Lilymm04 said...

I know exactly how you feel. Mason was under a bili light for about week off and on. Ill keep yall in my prayers and hope she goes home soon

Sarah and Ryan said...

I am sorry that you have to be in the hospital... we love you guys! Praying for a quick recovery and the ability to go home a.s.a.p!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately this is something that happens with a lot of kids. Natalie had this as well. She wasn't in the hospital, but we had a bili-blanket at the house. It was hard to keep it on her and get comfortable with her. She was also on soy formula to help her digest the food and get the biliruben out of her system quicker. I hope little Alexis is doing better. You're in my thoughts!! - Betsy

megan said...

I am praying for all three of you and hope you can all go home soon. You are an amazingly strong woman, Sara, and I am so excited to see you continue to blossom as an unbelievably loving mother. You will be in my continual thoughts. Much love to all of you.